Thursday, January 13, 2011

Felt Topiary

Business trips always mess me up. Actually, 6 am flights mess me up. When scheduling my 6 am flight, I just thought, "6 am is not that early." Uh, yes it is when you have to drive an hour to the airport. Yikes! That was stupid. So that was just a long excuse for why I'm posting on Thursday instead of Wednesday...business trip - mess me up!

Anyway, for those of you who remember the swirly felt wreath from last month (click here) I used that same technique to make this cute felt topiary for my friend's birthday.


I got a tall vase (on sale at Michael's), green floral foam, mossy grass, dowel, round styrofoam ball, 1/2 yard of felt, pins, paint, glitter and ribbon....oh, and don't forget the glue gun.

First I used the technique I used for the swirly felt wreath and cut out 150  2.5 inch circles. I pinned all the pieces in. Then I took the foam and pushed it into the vase like this....


First I painted the dowel and sprinkled glitter all over it.

Then I stuck the dowel into the styrofoam ball with felt and glued it in place. I used a lot of glue. When that cooled and dried, I shoved the dowel into the foam and did the same thing with the glue....LOTS of GLUE!

Then I glued the moss over the foam and glue to cover the mess I had made with the glue in the first place.

If I could do it all over again, I would have wrapped the dowel in a pretty satin ribbon instead of the paint and glitter. It would have made it look more classy I think.


I'm going to make a few of these for me with different heights and different diameters of balls. I think that it will be cute!!

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea. I will try some in red and pink for V day in different sizes. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete