Friday, September 24, 2010

Frankly My Dear....

I made a dress for my daughter. Here's a picture of the material. Look closely. Yep! Those are tabs. I made the dress from curtains!



I was channeling Scarlett O'Hara! Or Carol Burnett....



It started when I found this cute pattern for a sweet little dress from Leila & Ben. I love simplicity when it comes to sewing and this fit the bill! When I started thinking about material my mind wandered to a pile of things that were ready to be dropped at Salvation Army. I had one long, pink panel that I had bought a while back. It's a lighter knit, not canvas or upholstery feeling. Perfect! And it didn't stop there. Also in that pile was a skirt I no longer wear and the colors were perfect.



I printed out the pattern, did a little snipping, a little sewing and I created this:



Of course my daughter was being a crabby, uncooperative toddler and wouldn't let me get a picture of her Scarlett O'Hara inspired fashion. So if you can see beyond the apple and the blankie.....





Who needs a fabric store?! This was so much fun, I'm now tearing through the closets to see what else I can repurpose!!

Have a good weekend!





4 comments:

  1. These are a few of my favorite things....You're so Von Trapp right now. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, so cute. I never would have thought of using a drapery panel for a dress. What wonderful recycling you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love that Carol Burnett show as "Scarlet"...such an a classic ;) I recently made "Little Dresses for Africa" and they were simple and cute and can be worn over long-sleeved t-shirts and t-necks as the weather cools. Hope this helps, fondly, Roberta
    http://con-tain-it.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/06/wfmw-wednesdays-workbook-sewing-little-dresses.html
    http://con-tain-it.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/07/mosaic-monday-then-there-were-twelve.html

    ReplyDelete