Friday, September 3, 2010

Quick Re-do!

It has been one of those weeks! I had a demanding week at work while I have been fighting a cold. But I didn't want to surrender and skip out on my blog post. My craft projects are my therapy! I love to escape the workshop and get my hands dirty! So since it was Thursday night, my head felt like it was full of bricks and I didn't have any ideas, I ran to a thrift store and scoured the aisles of junk. And of course, my love of junk came through!

I found this old, beat-up, wooden bowl. It had it's share of stains and it looked pretty neglected but I saw it's potential. It's an amazingly heavy bowl. I grabbed it and ran to the check out!




That's right! Fifty cents baby!



It had bits of the old finish still on it so I sanded that off and then I painted the inside black with acrylic paint.



And because my week wasn't crazy enough, after I took the picture above, my camera battery died. And because we were in the midst of a thunderstorm, I did not want to run to the drugstore to get a new one!

So I'll tell you that I painted the outside with natural stain and then I coated the whole bowl with a shiny, polycrylic top coat to make it shiny and to protect it.



It turned out pretty nice! And those apples....another thrift store find! A while back I found a bag of wood apples for $1.75! My kids love them and for $1.75 I don't really care if they disappear out of the centerpiece and wind up in the play kitchen.



I think I'll fill it with little pumpkins for Halloween! So many possibilities!



Enjoy your long weekend!






No comments:

Post a Comment